Aging… it’s a natural part of life. We know it. We accept it. We embrace it… until one day we look in the mirror and it’s staring back at us in all its unfiltered glory. “How did this happen?” “When did those wrinkles appear?” “Why didn’t someone tell me I was beginning to look like my mother?” (Sorry Mom). And so it begins… the hunt for the perfect skincare products, research on Botox, gallons of sunscreen (as if that will correct the teenage years of sunbathing with baby oil and iodine while laying on a silver mat – what were we thinking)? Yikes! It’s all so overwhelming with a plethora of ads touting the “best” methods for turning back time.
I like to think of myself as a low maintenance girl. I need skincare and makeup routines that are quick and easy so I can be on my way. So here are 5 simple steps that have made a big difference in my skin.
- Find a skincare company that does clinical studies on all of their products. Did you know they are not required to do this unless the products are prescription? With all the drugstore brands and retail, big name brands, this is a distinguishing factor that lets me know I can expect the results they are promising. (I’ve had drawers full of products that were a complete waste of money because they did not do what they claimed they would do).
- Use sunscreen. I’m not just talking about when you go to the pool or beach. Make sure both your moisturizer and your makeup have sunscreen. Layering it into each step gives you added protection. Use it everyday.
- Exfoliate 2-3 times a week. As we age, our skin cells take longer to regenerate, leaving us with rough, scaly skin. Exfoliating will get rid of the dead skin cells so that we have a nice glow and smooth surface for our other products. Exfoliation is also great for reducing blackheads. This is my favorite exfoliator.
- Hydrate. It is so important to stay hydrated, both our bodies and our skin need this. If you picture a grape vs a raisin, what’s the difference? Water! Well hydrated muscles and organs function more effectively. Well-hydrated skin acts and looks younger. So drink lots of water each day and use a quality hydration serum on your face. (note, hydration and moisturizers are two different things. Hydration pulls in and increases moisture in your skin. Moisturizer holds in the hydration you have, but it doesn’t increase it).
- Remove all makeup before going to bed. Believe me, I know this can be an easy step to skip. Some nights you’re so exhausted you just want to fall into bed without washing your face. But did you know that sleeping with your makeup on can cause damage to your skin? I’m talking wrinkles, dry skin, eyelash dandruff. Yuck! So be sure to wash your face every night.
So now that you are armed with a down and dirty list of easy steps towards a more youthful glow, give it a try! I’d love to hear from you so share your results with us. But be sure to give it time – 60 days is a good measure. And if you have some tried and true tips of your own, feel free to share them in the comments. We can all learn from each other.